Sunday, January 18, 2015

Patterns From The Past: McCall's 3799 - Another Sweetly Romantic Dress

Today, we have another pretty pattern from the past, McCall's pattern number 3799, seen in the photo below:
 (Photo is from a McCall's pattern booklet.)
And, yet again - you see the fabric it was made from is the same as pictured on the pattern front:


An "Extra Carefree" pattern; I like the sound of that!
So cute:
A lot of girls made their dresses for the prom back in the 1970's, it wasn't considered weird or anything.
A formal-length dress made from a pattern such as this would have been considered completely appropriate.
 I have no idea about today - I would imagine most young girls want the best-of-the-best (at least that's how it seems to me), and maybe a "store-bought" dress is the only thing deemed "good enough".
 I don't even really want to know.
I'm glad I grew up when I did.......

4 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

I really love the long dress. Would have been a good one to wear to work at the Sierra Nevada House. Love T

Diane said...

I totally agree! My long dress for a junior high dance was department store bought but somewhat similar. I made my h.s. graduation dress!

StrayCat said...

Hi!

I've been following your blog for a while now and really enjoy it. I was a teen in the 70's (graduated in 1975) so naturally I adore everything from the 60's and 70's. I can't agree with you more! I'm so glad I was a teen when I was! All my friends and I sewed our own clothes. Do you remember the triangle halter tops? I made them by the dozens...they were so easy to make. And fun to wear...with my cut-offs and clogs. When my grandmother saw me wearing that top she had a fit! "Scandalous" she cried! The thought of it brings a big smile to my face. I miss everything about that time and so enjoy seeing your posts. Thanks!!!

Unknown said...

That's a beautiful dress!

My prom was in the '80s and my dress was sewn by a family friend who was a seamstress. It was white with little red rose appliques around the neck, dropped waist and sleeves. I felt a bit out-of-place though because everyone else was in these huge glamourous formal satin or taffeta dresses (it was the '80s after all) with big butt bows and everything OTT.

BUT ... my dress ended up being the only one that didn't look horrible years later! I ended up wearing it to my graduation and my uncle's wedding reception too.