Friday, March 1, 2013

An Illuminating Find

I have loved this blue lamp since the day I found it.
On a half-price day, at a thrift store in Angel's Camp.
It never had the right shade on it, though, so it didn't look quite right:
I found this one, below on another half-price day at a shop in Jackson. I didn't like the shade that was on it, so I switched it for another right out there in the open , in front of God and everybody. Nobody noticed, nobody cared. They were both old lamps with old shades, and I knew it wouldn't make any difference to anyone - except me. I was hoping the shade I switched to would work for my blue lamp at home.
When I got it home, I switched shades again, and the one that had looked rather ridiculous atop my precious blue pottery lamp looks pretty darned good on the mustard-colored ceramic mid-century style lamp.
And the one that WAS on it is the best I have found yet for my blue lamp:
 Pretty cool.

4 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

As someone in love with lamps and shades myself, I salute you! Love T

Andy's Attic said...

Love your bright blue lamp! And the drape behind it. You love the bright clors just like I do. Aren't they fun??

Penny-Rose said...

I love both of these lamps - and I laughed at the image of you swapping shades in the shop, infront of God and everything!! Well done. I like your style :-)

Unknown said...

OMG those are just awesome MCM lamps! You are very lucky -- those are SO hard to find around here. We get lots of fuggly vintage lamps but not amazing ones like yours.

I did manage to find an MCM lamp last month but needed a new shade, so after a lot of online searching I found one by Deran on eBay via Wayfair. It's the only one that had similar dimensions to the vintage lampshade, but actually affordable. I'll post a review of it as soon as we get it.