Saturday, May 14, 2011

Kellogg's Corn Flakes, Revisited

I did one of my "Then And Now" posts about Kellogg's Corn Flakes back in 2008 but I found some more neat old ads, and I also have a recipe to share, so I decided I would simply revisit this cereal again.
The oldest ("new" - for this post) ad I found is from 1929:
And I found one from 1931:

1949:

1950:
Boxed Corn Flake Crumbs from 1961:

1964:

1968:
Below, you see the box I just bought recently. I am happy to see that Cornelius is still on the box - but just barely:

(It's not that hard to smash them up and make your own corn flake crumbs for this recipe, rather than buying the Corn Flake Crumbs.)
Corn Flake Chicken
3 tsp. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 cup 1% buttermilk
70 g crushed corn flakes (2&1/2 cups before crushing?)
4 (4 oz.)boneless, skinless chicken breast pieces
Preheat oven to 365. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray, set aside.
Combine flour, salt and cayenne in a bowl. Put buttermilk and corn flake crumbs into 2 separate shallow bowls. Roll chicken breasts in flour mixture and coat evenly. Next, dip chicken into buttermilk and then corn flake crumbs. Bake until chicken is tender and no longer pink, about 25 minutes.
This was an older Weight Watchers recipe that I changed very slightly. I entered it into the Recipe Builder on WW, and each serving of chicken has 5 Points Plus Values. I just made this the other night, and we liked it, BUT I do think it does need more seasoning of some kind. Next time I may try adding 2 tsp. of taco seasoning from a packet to the flour mixture. That would not add any points.
If you try it, let me know how you like it - all right?

2 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

I just bought a box of Corn Flakes last week to make a Weight Watchers corn flake chicken recipe. I haven't made it yet, so I am not sure how close it is to your recipe. I am looking forward to trying it more now. Cornelius is sure a cutie for a rooster! Love T

yosemite faith said...

ahhh - battle creek michigan - home of kelloggs. i have said it before and will again - i love old ads. i have been a magazine freak from a very very early age. my dad had all sorts of magazines in the reception room of his office. saturday eveing post, life, look, etc etc.