Monday, January 3, 2011

Three Little Pigs


I would imagine you are all familiar with the story of The Three Little Pigs. Pictured above is the Disney Little Golden Book from my collection. Below are cards from a little deck of game cards I have. Piper Pig, Fiddler Pig, and Practical Pig - they all sang "Who's Afraid of The Big, Bad Wolf?".


When I was working at the post office as a rural carrier, I used to half-tease my friends about how, if/when they were messing around, I, on the other hand was working hard and fast, trying every single day to get the mail out to customers as swiftly and accurately as I possibly could. This might make me sound like kind of a brat - and maybe I was- but it irked me to see people who didn't appear to care as much as I always did. The Piper Pig said:
"I build my house of straw;
I build my house of hay.
I toot my flute; I don't give a hoot
and play around all day!"
Yes, well - his house didn't last long when the Big Bad Wolf came around.
The Fiddler Pig said:
"I build my house of sticks;
I build my house of twigs.
With a hey-diddle-diddle I play on the fiddle and dance all kinds of jigs!"
We all know how that worked out for him:
But the Practical Pig? Well, he worked harder and spent more time - better to be safe than sorry!
After the work is done - THEN was the time to play and sing and dance!
I took my WalkMan and speakers to work one day so I could play the song for them all!
I may have been somewhat annoying, it's true. But I was also a great record-keeper, an on-the-job instructor, and I could remember the names and addresses on all of the routes I had worked as a substitute like nobody's business, so I was often the one they came to when they had questions about things.
I'm just going to come right out and say it - I was VERY good at my job.
Yes, I was like Practical Pig, and proud of it.

6 comments:

Lorlore said...

Yes, we do have great work ethics, don't we!!!! It is a good thing to have!! My past Employers have never wanted me to leave, but you have to move on sometimes.
Loved the "Pig" cartoon!!!!

Tina Dawn said...

Very cute. Nowadays there are people who do build their houses with straw and actually they are pretty sturdy. They just take more time with it than Piper Pig did. I guess living in a "stick-built" home I am a Fiddler Pig, but I always loved me a good jig. We do have concrete shingles on our home, so we borrowed a bit from Practical Pig. Sounds like you are looking back fondly to your working days. It's nice you have good memories. Love T

yosemite faith said...

my work ethic drove me over the edge and am still dealing with PTS but that is a constant on which i must not dwell or i really will go all the way over the edge. i think the ones that don't care as much survive much happier and healthier than i. (then again the PO is not an org that wants or needs those who care too much). i love the cards - hadn't seen those before.

Twyla and Lindsey said...

That Little Golden Book was one of my kids favorites! We loved the three little pigs! Hope you have a wonderful 2011! Twyla

Unknown said...

The 3 little pigs used to be one of my favourite bed time stories when i was younger i have read it to my boys to...its lovely. Some stories last for always and this is one of them ;-)) Dee x

Zootsuitmama said...

The graphics in those books are so precious! I have been looking for the book, "we help Mommy" for a long time. Zootsuitmama