Monday, January 24, 2011

Hansel and Gretel

I found a few different examples of Hansel and Gretel illustrations, and I just wanted to share them because they are so sweet.
First, we have this illustration from "Favorite Bedtime Stories" illustrated by Miss Elliott, from 1943:
Eloise Wilkin's illustrations in this Little Golden Book:

And another Little Golden Book, this one also from 1943, and illustrated by Erika Weihs:
Look at the cute little house, and the smiling sun on the title page!
I love it.
(Finding these has given me an idea: How about a Tim Burton version of Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm's original story - you know, a live-action fantasy type of thing like Alice In Wonderland? Although it doubtless would not be a saccharine-sweetened version of the story like those in these vintage books, it sounds like a good idea to me!)

5 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

I'm up for a Tim Burton version. Very cute, love the costumes, and I always like the smiling suns. Love T

jamie@midcenturymania said...

That would make a terrific movie. It scared the heck out of me when I was little. That didn't stop me from reading it over and over.

yosemite faith said...

i think thats a great idea heidi.

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Oh yes! Starring Johnny Depp of course! Twyla

farmlady said...

I'm sure that Tim Burton's version of Hansel and Gretel would be very bizarre and scary. The book was scary enough when I was little.
It would make a great, serious, horror movie with real people in it though.