Monday, November 8, 2010

Then And Now #74 Dixie Cups, Etc.

It's all about Dixie Cups (and other products) in my latest edition of "Then and Now". First up, an advertisement from 1953:

A dispenser, from 1954:

Cottage cheese in Dixie cups, from 1957:

1958:

Here's a dispenser again in this one from 1959:

I even found some in the background, here in this still photo from a scene from Mad Men:

Here they are again in this ad from 1965. That Betty Crocker book "Parties For Children" is one that has, thus far, eluded me in my quest for the whole collection:

I'm not sure what year you might have found these in the supermarket:

1973:

Paper plates in an ad from 2009:

And "Now", straight from the supermarket shelves - cups:
and plates:

Lots of choices these days!

6 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

I think I'll order that 25 cent holder. LOL. Never really used Dixie cups very much, but paper plates are a different matter! Very interesting. Love T

1950s Atomic Ranch House said...

Good ol Dixie cups!

yosemite faith said...

my parents had a dispenser in the bathroom that his patients used. plus was handy 'after hours' since we lived above his office and kitchen was on same floor as his office - for 3 kids running around. thanks for the memories heidi ho!

farmlady said...

I had no idea that Dixie made so many different kinds of cups, plates and containers. I feel like I've had a museum tour.
I think we had a dispenser in the kitchen when we were first married but I don't remember my parents having one. What a shame when a dispenser was only 25 cents.

Anthony said...

We had Dixie cups in our house when I was growing up. I liked 'em! Not real sure why. Guess it was all the neat, different patterns they came in, and that you could throw them away. Also, they weren't the least bit fragile, so a kid didn't have to be careful. :)

Anthony said...

P.S. - As always, LOVE the old ads!