Sunday, October 17, 2010

Thrifted And Gifted

I came home with some neat stuff after my most recent visit to Placerville. Lori gave me some of her gorgeous bandanna scrapbook papers (Martha Stewart from WalMart - Tina had given her the book for her birthday. I went looking for one of my own later and they were sold out.), and paisley stationery-in-the-round that she's had since we were teenagers. (Do you remember my stationery post a while back?)
I found the African violets needlepoint at a thrift store, picked up the purple bandanna at a rummage sale, and what you see in the upper left corner is the back side of a crib coverlet:
This is the front of the patchwork coverlet. It was 99 cents at a thrift store. 99 cents! Someone worked hard on it, and I love it:
I found a pair of pretty pansy pot holders to add to my collection:
The previous weekend, Tina and Lori had gone to Nevada to visit a very dear old friend of Mother's. This is a photo of Claire and her husband Harold:
Claire sent them home with a whole bunch of stuff! The rick rack and the gingham remnants in the picture below were from Claire, and Lori found the tiny little bird ornaments at a thrift shop and gave them to me. They are the teeniest ones I've ever seen! The floral embroidered trims were from a thrift shop, as were the personalized labels that say "From the needles of Gwen Irene":

Claire also sent these two brand new cotton knit cardigans from Lands End ( I love Lands End.). I said - yep, I'll wear those! A nice red one:
And the other in a pretty powder blue:

Thank you, Claire! And I'm so sorry I wasn't able to come and visit, too.

7 comments:

Lorlore said...

I wish you could of come, maybe next time!! I loved their sense of humor and their zest for life!!!

Tina Dawn said...

They are really much younger at heart than the photo shows. Love T

yosemite faith said...

a nice visit and gifts too?! how wonderful is that.

farmlady said...

What a colorful post. It all kind of goes together.
How nice that your sisters go visit your Mom's older friends. What a sweet thing to do.
Those sweaters are very nice.

Anonymous said...

Pretty vintage treasures! I have one of the little bird ornaments. It was our first ornament after we were married in 1977. I got it in Seattle at a little shop - and it hangs in my kitchen cabinet and looks so cute there. Treasures and memories - they go together nicely.

moonshinejunkyard said...

that little patchwork coverlet is to-die-for! anything i see something patchwork in the thrift stores i snatch it up, cherishing the time and love that went into each piece. someday i'd love to be a quilter myself. my friends and i make a quilt for each of our girlfriends who gets married, but i am not a big help, unfortunately!

Unknown said...

I just wanted to say hello after stopping by your lovely blog. I love the glasses on your old magazine post, i adore reading the old magazine's and have a nice collection now to sit cuddled up on the sofa with now the nights have drawn in.I will drop by again soon.I love all your finds so colourful you can't beat the 60s and 70's for that. Take care Dee ;-)