Thursday, August 26, 2010

Gingham Again? Yes, But Only Blue This Time

It's all about blue gingham today, with a number of examples - first, this lovely vintage apron:
And on the pinafore of this sweet little doll from a 1961 Woman's Day Magazine:

Another apron, from a turkey advertisement this time:

Blue gingham in the bedroom:

On the walls and the lampshade, too:

And looking lovely here on this sofa gracing the cover of Cottage Style Magazine:

A dress from the 50's:

Another dress - in a Bell Telephone advertisement:

It's everywhere! On a tablecloth:
And even here in a cute dirndl skirt on this lovely blonde:

One more time on a great pinafore from Seventeen Magazine, 1975:

Lori found this skirt in one of the boxes of Mother's stuff. I can't bear to get rid of it, so I washed it and pressed it so I could photograph it for you:

You can see me wearing it here in these pictures, below. When I was in (I think!) sixth grade, a group of us girls performed chapters from "Little Women" for the class. I was Amy:

And that's it for my latest gingham installment. (I like gingham - did I already tell you that? Yes, I believe I have.)

7 comments:

Lorlore said...

I love gingham also, mostly the pale yellow, pink and lavendar colors. Loving the pinafore, it's adorable! I am going to sew my new Granddaughter a pillow soon with a pink gingham ruffle.

barncat (Lisa) said...

So much gingham! Usually red is my gingham of choice, but everything here looks wonderful!

yosemite faith said...

how wonderful you have your mom's skirt. i love all the examples and of course the vintage ads!

Anne@Kitschy Vintage said...

Great post -- those pictures are a real blast from the past! I still like gingham, but polka dots always draw me like a moth to a flame.

Tina Dawn said...

My comment yesterday got lost somewhere. I love all your blue gingham. I used to wear dirndl skirts in high school, they were popular for a little bit, maybe in 68 or so. They came with attached cotton full petticoats and were VERY short. Afterward I cut them up and made bathroom curtains out of them. They made very private curtains with all the layers. Love T

moonshinejunkyard said...

HEY! I just got a blue gingham shirt today; it's a vintage men's western shirt and it is beautiful fabric. I love all your examples and ranges of time and hue. Gingham rules!

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Well, I Never get tired of gingham! Especially Blue gingham. You could do a post once a week on it and I would enjoy it every time! Have a wonderful day, Heidi! Twyla