Friday, April 9, 2010

Lane Cedar Chests

Lane cedar chests - a good-looking and practical storage solution. They're a well-made, long-lasting piece of furniture. Every home should have one! I love the one featured most prominently in this 1954 advertisement:

Here are some more models in 1955:
These next two are from 1970:

I don't care for the design of either one:

If you don't like those, here are a number of others that were available in 1973:

I have no idea whether they still make these little cedar boxes, but each of us girls got one when we were seniors. Our dad happened to work at the furniture store in town, but they were available to everybody. I still have mine in perfect condition:

We were all three supposed to get a full-size cedar chest as a graduation present, too (from our parents). For some reason, Lori never did get hers. She does, however, have a wonderful old chest that belonged to our great great aunt. Tina's was sort of a Mediterranean style as I recall, and this is a picture of mine:
I wanted the most old-fashioned looking one available- and it didn't get any simpler than this one with just plain (yet pretty) cedar on the outside, as well as the cedar-lined interior found in all of the models.
I still use it and love it today.

7 comments:

Lorlore said...

If my memory serves me right, I chose something other than the chest. That was sure dumb, huh!!Well, at least I get to use Great Great Aunt Emmas.It's very old and still smells of cedar inside!!

Tina Dawn said...

Yes, my chest is a mediterranean style, which really isn't my style but of course I love it. I store "memories" in it, so every time I open it, it takes me hours of looking before I close it again! I once used it as a "hope chest" when I first got it. Since I got married only five months after I graduated, that didn't last too long! I also treasure my little cedar box and actually have another one I bought off ebay from Daddy's store too. I think the chest Lori has is a very precious piece with family history, but I am sorry she didn't get a Lane too. Love your simple cedar chest, you have always had great taste. Love T

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Oh, I always wanted one of these! I used to 'pine' over them in magazines. I love the styles from the 1955 ad best. Yours is truely beautiful. Great post! Twyla

Barbara said...

As soon as I started reading this, I started wondering if you got a little cedar chest when you graduated. I still have mine, too. I think that was a pretty amazing give-away!

yosemite faith said...

i always wanted one but alas - i do not. but i do have the little one like you do hedi - seems like i had to sent in to get something to go into a furniture store that carried lane and pick mine up. i still have mine. it was the 1st thing that came to mind when i saw the title of todays post. i have a lane coffe table, end table, & lamp table that john & i purchased when we got married and bought our house in lansing - guess that was 1971 (we got married in 1970) - still have them.

Simply Debbie said...

HELLO HEIDI ANN,
THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE VISITED YOUR BLOG. I SAW A COMMENT YOU MADE ON CLAUDIA'S POST AND I WANTED TO VISIT YOUR BLOG. I GRADUATED IN 1973 AND RECEIVED MY LITTLE CEDAR CHEST WHICH I STILL HAVE. I HAVE A LARGE CEDAR CHEST BUT IT IS NOT IN YOUR PICTURES....IT HAD A CUSHION WITH 2 DUCKS LOOKING AT EACH OTHER AND THEN IN 2005 I RECOVERED THE TOP TO GO WITH MY BEDROOM.
I WOULD LOVE IT IF YOU STOPPED BY TO SEE ME.
HUGS
SIMPLY DEBBIE

Emily said...

I have a Lane cedar chest, it was my mothers and I believe it was my grandma's before it was her's. My mom gave it to me when I was about 16 to be used for my hope chest. It looks identical to the 1954 ad, with the different kinds of wood in the middle and sides. It isn't in perfect condition, but I love it just the same. It still smells like cedar on the inside and I love how my things smell when I taken them out. Great post!