Tuesday, March 2, 2010

In Memory Of Karen Carpenter

Karen Carpenter would have been 60 years old today. Oh, how I love listening to the beautiful music she and her brother Richard made together! I'm sure you must remember this song, "We've Only Just Begun". I think the whole world loved it:
I was happy to find these two pieces of sheet music recently at a thrift store:
I bought this 45, "(They Long To Be) Close To You", back in 1970. I loved this song then, and I still love it today. It's absolutely beautiful, written by the fabulous Burt Bacharach and Hal David, with the arrangement by Richard Carpenter:
And I have also had this record since the 70's. Love it, too. But then, I am happy to listen to their melodious tones anytime, anywhere:

In a way, it does seem like "Only Yesterday" when they made numerous TV appearances. The enormously talented Richard Carpenter is still here, and we will always have the legacy of their beautiful pairing of voices, so that we may continue to enjoy their lovely catalog of recordings forever.

9 comments:

Lorlore said...

Loved her!!! Listened to their music over and over again!! I have some older LPs still. The world would of been a different place if she had still been singing for us!!

The Viewliner Limited said...

I suppose there are many things I miss pertaining to music. But Karen has to be way on the top of the list. Saw Karen and Richard a few times live. Great memories. Nice post girls!

Tina Dawn said...

So sad that trying to control your weight can steal such beauty from the world. I am glad we still have her legacy. Love T

Kristina Strain said...

They were wonderful, weren't they? Her voice was so mellow and sweet... such a loss.

Kristina
Sweetfern Handmade

yosemite faith said...

i bought a 'best of' CD on sale. she was so talented and just did not know it! nice post. i did not realize that she and i were so close in age - i just turned 59 in feb.

Anonymous said...

Oh Karen, I've been listening to your hits (and your more obscure tracks) all day. You would be very proud of the fact that people nowadays appreciate your music and your voice

Twyla and Lindsey said...

This post makes me so sad to think of Karen's short life. She had so much talent and so much to give. I did not know this was her birthday. Thank you for this tribute. Twyla

Anthony said...

Sorry to be so late to your Carpenter party, Heidi.

I've ALWAYS loved the Carpenters, for as long as I can remember. Especially, their classic 'Christmas Portrait' album! To me, hearing that music along with Richard & Karen's golden voices absolutely MAKES holiday time perfect.

Such a tremendous talent was lost when Karen died. And she seemed like a good soul, as well. Thankfully, she did leave behind her gift of music which will continue to be enjoyed for generations. :)

Daveland said...

Her voice is just timeless...still love listening to her songs.