Sunday, February 28, 2010

What's Penny Wearing? #25 Gunne Sax

What's Penny wearing today, you ask? Well, it's yet another of my vintage Gunne Sax by Jessica McClintock dresses. I have shown you a few of them in previous posts. (To see them all, you can enter Gunne Sax in the Search box) You may have already guessed that I loved them all back in the day. But this one? This one really is my favorite. And that's why I still have it after all these years. A pale green mini-gingham confection with tiered skirt and pink rosebud collar and cuffs, complete with pink floral trim and green rickrack:
It was my prom dress, and I was in love.
Below, you see a picture of me wearing it on prom night. Penny, above, is wearing it with the same necklace I wore:

And my friend Debbie, who was our Homecoming Queen, borrowed it to wear in a picture that was taken for the yearbook:
Believe it or not, I actually ended up wearing it a couple of years later to work at Sierra Nevada House. That was a mistake. Although I had, of course, washed it, it had a LOT of stains all over and I was so sentimentally attached to it that I kept it anyhow, packed away in my cedar chest. I dug it out recently and treated them with Spray 'N Wash with Resolve Power - and the stains from 35 years ago CAME OUT!
My special dress is beautiful once again, and I am a happy girl.

7 comments:

yosemite faith said...

love the story of this dress! and the pictures.....penny lane was so lucky to end up with you heidi!

Lorlore said...

Love the dress!! How wonderful you got the stains out!! You looked adorable in it as did Debbie!!

jamie@midcenturymania said...

Love your prop picture. What a great dress. Amazing that the stains came out.

jamie@midcenturymania said...

PROMMMM PICTURE not prop...oops

Tina Dawn said...

Poor, poor pitiful prom date only got a picture of his hand in the blog! Your dress is so precious. Such a 70s statement too, a cotton embroidered rickrack dress instead of satin and lace. You and Debbie both look so cute. Love T

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Love the story of the dress. So amazing that you still have it. Great that the stains came out! Twyla

Missa said...

Oh, it's such a beauty and how great that you were able to get rid of those old stains!