Saturday, November 7, 2009

P.L. Travers' Mary Poppins

I've written before about Disney's Mary Poppins, but today's post is just about the books themselves, written by P.L. Travers. I collected them, too. Let's begin with Mary Poppins, first published in 1934. Mine is a 1962 reprint:

Mary Poppins Comes Back, 1935:

Mary Poppins Opens The Door, 1943:

Mary Poppins In The Park, 1952:

Mary Poppins from A-Z, 1962:

This little Mary Poppins is a Disney one, though. I bought her on eBay. I love the vintage figurines that were sold in the parks. Most of them now have kind of funny-looking faces that don't appeal to me:

She's a cute one, though!

4 comments:

yosemite faith said...

another great collection (i like to think mary in the park is yosemite national park!) ..... i agree about the faces on figurines now - the faces aren't as nice as the older ones. i am glad you got a good one.

Unknown said...

I adore Mary Poppins and dressed as her last Halloween but would you believe I've never read the original stories? Off to my library's website to put them on hold! Thanks for the reminder!

Twyla and Lindsey said...

I had no idea there were all those books about Mary Poppins. That is a cute figurine! Twyla

jamie@midcenturymania said...

I miss Dick Van Dyke! Mary Poppins is one of my very favorite movies.