Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Ocean Spray Cranberry Sauce

Yes, it's cranberry time, all right. And just like nearly every other household in the country, we will have it on our Thanksgiving table.
But it never really gets eaten. Well, maybe a little bit on our plates on turkey day, but the leftover sauce? Never gets touched. If we have turkey again for Christmas, we serve it then, too. Last year when it was our turn to host the family for dinner, I made homemade sauce - with Ocean Spray cranberries, of course. Nobody ate hardly any of it - if it was touched at all. I liked it, but it's just not really my thing.
Oddly enough, this Cranberry Souffle salad, below, actually looks good to me. Wonder if anyone would eat those?
Oh, good Lord, no - do NOT try to get me to eat cranberry sauce in an omelet. Now, I MIGHT be convinced to try a little of the whole berry sauce in a cream cheese blintz, I suppose:

The Stagecoach Inn restaurant that used to be in Columbia, California (where I worked for 15 years) used to serve the BEST turkey sandwiches in the county. Whole turkey breasts were roasted nearly every day, and sliced to order for the sandwiches on your choice of bread. We always served a little cup of cranberry sauce on the side, so that you could add it to your sandwich if you liked. We also had fabulous Monte Cristo sandwiches that were known far and wide. Even the presentation on the plate was spectacular. They were as good as (and quite possibly better than) the ones served at Blue Bayou in Disneyland.
Man, I STILL miss the food at that place.

3 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

I had to laugh about throwing out the leftover cranberry sauce. I made a recipe in September (I think it was) that used cranberry sauce and had most of a little can of it left over in the fridge. I just threw it out last week. Never did use the rest of it. I like it too, it is just that there is so much else there to eat at Thanksgiving, I never usually get to it. Maybe just a taste of it. I did have a bit of yours last year. I like the homemade the best! I liked the chicken cordon bleu at the Stagecoach the best, but boy, the turkey sandwiches sound great. I am totally with you on the omelet. No sweet in my omelet, PLEASE! Enjoyable yummy post. Love T

yosemite faith said...

i love cranberries - just fussy about what and how it is made/served. don't like the canned. love homemade from fresh cranberries. love it on turkey sandwiches. i don't have as many memories (obviously) of the stagecoach but i enjoyed eating there.

Twyla and Lindsey said...

We already have our can of Ocean Spray cranberry sauce. We happen to love it. Those top two ads are beautiful! Thank you for showing them. Have a great day! Twyla