Friday, June 19, 2009

John Held, Jr.

If you are not familiar with the name John Held, Jr., then perhaps you will recognize his unique illustrations? These are from a 1970's brochure extolling the virtues of milk and it's place in nutritious meals. Inside, it states "The beautiful people in this booklet are illustrations by the late John Held, Jr., reproduced by special permission of Mrs. John Held, Jr." I fell in love with his unique images back in the 70's.
He also wrote comic strips.

And, like many of the great artists of the time, his iconic illustrations graced a lot of magazine covers over the years, as well (in the 20's and 30's, I think - maybe 40's too?):
When I was in high school, I was so happy to find some fabric that had his little dancing flappers on it! The background was red, and my sister made a dress out of it for me. I am wearing it here, seated in the cafeteria, talking with my friend Vicki Young:
It's probably silly for me to include this photo when I know there is no way that you can even tell from the poor photo what in the heck is on the dress! But I just felt like including it. You will just have to take my word for it - it was a cute dress. I used to wear it with my 4-inch high platform black patent leather sandals. I remember feeling pretty good in that outfit. (Don't say anything about my hair- the hair was NOT good) Ahhh, high school memories.....

5 comments:

yosemite faith said...

your hair is ok - i have sooooo many more embarassing hair photos than that. your hair actualy looks 'real' and 'normal' - if you would not have said it was you i would have never (ever) known. my mom gave most of my clothing away - she would just say she was cleaning my closet and it never occurred to me to ask - after her passing i found out she gave it to girls (sometimes cousins) who were really in need. what a great lady. she hated sewing but was magnificent at it and made me some things i still love and will never forget - but guess what? - they went on to make someone else happy.

Tina Dawn said...

I really loved this post, and seeing the photo of you in school. Of course I wish I could see the fabric closer but it was still a great photo. I definitely am familiar with the Held illustrations. I love the first one, wish I had the figure of that cute housewife in the apron! About your hair, at least it survived and went on to live a good life! LOL. Super post. Love T

Twyla and Lindsey said...

I'm so glad you included that picture. It's so neat that you were captured in that moment in time. Have a wonderful weekend! Twyla

Unknown said...

Of course I love that picture. Do I see John Wunderlich and Don Arundell in the group? Love, Deb

Miss you!

Heidi Ann said...

Hi Deb! Absolutely - and I think I see Charlie Wigglesworth back there, too! Love his name- and he's such a nice guy, to boot! Oh, and the county fair is this weekend - he either still works there, or maybe he has retired by now.
I miss you, too.