Monday, January 19, 2009

Then And Now #27 Del Monte Vegetables

I'm writing about Del Monte Brand canned tomatoes and green beans today. I happen to love them both, and buy them all the time. As a matter of fact, I love to combine the two ( using one of the tomato varieties with Italian-type seasonings )and eat them together. It reminds me of some we used to serve at the restaurant where I worked for 17 years. I realize some people don't like tomatoes. I can't even imagine that because I love them so much.
Then: looks like these stewed tomatoes, below, were new in 1957. I want me some of that "new vegetable eating fun":

And here are their Blue Lake Green Beans in an advertisement from 1958:
And a couple of labels from Now:
I'm sure you know there are many more varieties available today. The tomatoes alone come in the following:
Stewed/Original
Stewed/Italian Recipe
Diced/No Salt
Diced/Green Peppers and Onions
Diced/Basil, Garlic and Oregano
Petite Cut/Zesty Jalapenos
Petite Cut/Plain
And that's just what I saw at my grocer. There may be others. If you can't find something in that line-up that you can use, I have nothing else to say.

2 comments:

Pearl said...

Love those Vintage Ads... I'm one of those folks that dislikes tomatoes... well, actually it's the seeds I dislike! But I do eat ketchup and tomato soup... Go figure!

~blessings~
Pearl

Tina Dawn said...

I love the diced with basil, garlic and oregano. They are a good spaghetti sauce just like that, and very useful in lasagne and similiar recipes. It is making me hungry thinking about it! Love T