Sunday, October 19, 2008

My Cars -Through The Years

My first car was a 1967 Volkswagen Bug. I think I had it for a year before I even got my license. I had some trouble learning to drive! I ended up taking my driving test in my friend Lorraine's automatic Mustang so I wouldn't kill it at every stop. I barely passed in that. Oh - and, um, those dents weren't there when I got it. That's all I'm sayin'. My second car was a Fiat convertible. I stupidly let an idiot boyfriend talk me into trading in my VW for it. One of the all-time dumbest things I ever did. Moving in with him tops the list.
My very first brand new car was a mustard-yellow 1977 Toyota Corolla. It had an AM radio and that was it, and I was thrilled to have it.
I wrecked that and then I got a new white 1982 Toyota Corolla Tercel. It had carpet and air conditioning and AM/FM radio, and I was very happy with my new amenities!
We actually still have that car, but it's in very sad shape. It got a LOT of use. I delivered mail in it for 4 years- and it's a 5-speed manual transmission. You ask any rural mail carrier you know whether they have delivered mail in a left-hand drive car that was not an automatic. I was VERY happy when we decided I could get my red 1995 right-hand drive AWD Subaru Legacy wagon! It had power windows , and a cassette player - upgrades that I was thrilled with. Boy, did that ever make delivering mail easier! I sold it to a friend when I quit the Post Office. She was in a horrible accident about a week later (not her fault, an elderly man turned right in front of her) and the car was totalled. To this day, she believes that being in that car instead of her old Jeep saved her life that day.
And this PT Cruiser, below , is what I drive now. When we got it, I wanted either that or a Volkswagen, and my husband nixed the VW idea - he said they were too small, and this needed to be our traveling car - so we got the Cruiser. We've had it for 6&1/2 years, and it has 25,000 miles on it.
Oh - and for the first time I have a CD player and keyless entry, in addition to all of the previous improvements on my other cars.

4 comments:

Twyla and Lindsey said...

I had a Subaru Outback that I had a wreck in too. I always thought it was the safest car I ever drove. Wish I had one now. I like your car now and I must say, I believe the CD player to be the single most important part on a car. Twyla

Tina Dawn said...

I wish I could have a CD player in my car. Other than that I am very fond of my 1997 Toyota Corolla. Love T

FeeBee Louweez said...

That's quite a collection! My dad owns a auto wrecking place, so I've had my share of beauties over the years too! Anyways, I have a PT now that my DH got new for my 40th birthday 7 years ago and it's my favorite of ALL time! Nice blog by the way.

The Viewliner Limited said...

I was the proud owner of a 1971 AMC Gremlin. My first brand new car. I wish I had it now. Great post.

Check out my post today Heidi, I think you will really like it, Richard.