Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Fabulous Upholstered Chairs

Chairs that have been reupholstered with vintage barkcloth are probably my favorite pieces of furniture ever! I mean, in a chair, I can sit and visit with a friend, read or watch TV! Three of my favorite pastimes. But, even better if I could do it in a beautiful chair like one of these! These first two I've shown belong to Darwin Otto and Brent Heeb, two of the owners of the Stars Antique Malls in Portland, Oregon. Their home, and that of Gayle Tweed were featured in the April 1996 issue of Country Home Magazine.
I love both of these chairs SO much! Especially with the addition of the fringe. I fell in love with their home, their collections and their furniture, and made a point of going to Stars when I went to visit my friend Kari. I later saw the house in another magazine - it's now owned by Shannon Quimby. My sister bought a fabulous high-backed wing chair covered in vintage yellow floral barkcloth at an antique mall. Unfortunately, her kitties have attacked it - ack! Bad kitty behavior.
Below is another lovely chair I found in a magazine. I tear pages out, and then I don't always know where or when I got it. I only know the lady of the house was named Lenore:
Here's another example that I REALLY love! What fabulous fabric! This one from Saturday Evening Post Magazine's cover on Nov. 18th, 1950, from a painting by the wonderful Norman Rockwell:
And then look what I found in Better Homes And Gardens in May of 1997! VERY similar:
And of course I had to save this magazine when they staged a similar scene. I love the bright colors- yes, even the plaid. The red chair you see down in the corner with the cute kitty on it is ours. It was the best fabric I could find in the book when we purchased a pair of these recliners nine years ago. It's where we sit and have our coffee in the morning.
I'd have much rather had the gorgeous vintage red floral shown in the chair below! This chair was in a home that was featured in another issue of BH&G, in July of '97. The couple, Don and Saundra (no last name given) have a beautiful home in Long Island, and this chair was in a bookshelf-lined library room that is to die for. What I would give for a room like that! We have this impossible dream of having all of our books in one place. Sigh.....

6 comments:

Twyla and Lindsey said...

I too wish we had a place for all our books but it would take up a whole room!
Have a happy wednesday, Lindsey

Heidi Ann said...

Lindsey - Believe me, I can relate! H.

Anonymous said...

Love Bark Cloth covering anything!! My favorite covered chairs in the world are in the parlor of Hearst Castle, they are covered with a dark brown background with cherubs on them, I was so excited to see them when I went there!

Tina Dawn said...

Great post. I just want to point out that it is really Luna who is the bad kitty. Chessie only sharpens his claws on the carpet. ;-) The chair was safe until Luna came along. I too echo the request for a big library room. Some of my loved books are still in boxes from moving over 9 1/2 years ago. Love T

Emily said...

That last picture is my favorite!!

Anonymous said...

LOVE the barkcloth chairs. I just bought five yards of barkcloth to make into curtains for my living room...now am on the hunt for some funky fringe to use on them. Great inspiration.