Sunday, August 24, 2008

My Old Skeleton Keys

I started collecting antique keys when I was a little girl. The key rack you see below was made for me by my Daddy. He has been gone for 31 years, so you know I have had this a long time!
I found this key with other souvenirs (mostly ephemera) from my mother-in-law's cruise to Hawaii in 1936. Don't know why she still had her cabin key!
A few assorted others:But the one below - this one is my absolute pride and joy. I found this myself when I was quite young in Point Arena, California. I remember discovering it inside of an old trunk. The details are a bit fuzzy in my brain's memory , but it was either on board an old boat or inside of an old dockside house in disrepair. I have always treasured it.
I have more keys, but since my stuff is in three different locations, I sometimes have trouble laying my hands on things when I want them!

6 comments:

Twyla and Lindsey said...

You have a great key collection. That's what I love about you - you collect Everything! I was behind a lady at Hobby Lobby yesterday who was buying 'old' looking keys on a ring, but they don't have the stories to tell like yours do.
Have a great Sunday! Twyla

Tina Dawn said...

I've always enjoyed your keys. When I think of Point Arena I get nostalgic for the coast again. I am missing it. I am ready to go to Anchor Bay, Westpoint, Cleone, Schooner Gulch and Caspar and points near and beyond. Love T

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

How fun!! The holder that your dad made is totally wonderful. Such great stories, too, to go with your collection. You ARE lucky!!! You always have the coolest things!

Becky
:)

Heidi Ann said...

Road trip! Road trip! I know what you mean - I love it over there, too -so much. And all of our memories from camping when we were kids and all. I just wish I had unlimited so funds so we could just pick up and go if we wanted!

Tina Dawn said...

If I could just pick up and go like that I would probably be living there! As much as I like it here. I love it over there. I try to watch Murder She Wrote (the old days) as much as I can to see Mendocino. Love T

Screaming Meme said...

I love keys! There is something so magical about them!!!! I want to give you a personal invitation to Screaming Meme's Faux School~ I'm teaching a continual class on different faux techniques! So, get to class ...your late! :)