Saturday, August 2, 2008

Milkshakes And Sodas And Such

From the cover of McCall's Magazine August 1954, a strawberry soda that's pretty in pink!
The picture below is from the book Diner by Diane Rossen Worthington, published by Sunset books in 1995. This is my favorite kind of cookbook- gorgeous color photographs, delicious-looking recipes, and these are all photographed in diner settings with all of the food on vintage restaurant china! Pictured here, a tall and luscious chocolate shake with a burger and fries (hold the soup). This reminds me of the lunch I had at Mel's in Jackson, Ca. last month. I met my two best friends there, and we had lunch and went to see Wall-E afterward. It was a great day.
Next up, two pages out of Betty Crocker's New Boys And Girls Cookbook, published in 1965. Cool down this summer with a Chocolate Soda or a Blushing Pink Soda:
or maybe a Banana-Orange Frosted or Grape Float:
And here's something I can have on Weight Watchers, too. A Root Beer Float! I'll make mine with Diet A&W and Dreyer's Slow-Churned Vanilla Ice Cream
The float picture is from the book "You're Invited A Cookbook For Special Occasions' by Mary Engelbreit. I love the photos in Mary's cookbooks , too. Most of them include vintage dishes and glassware, and even some great collectibles.

7 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

Ah, what a refreshing idea for a hot California summer day. I love rootbeer floats. Did you know that A&W originated in Lodi? Thank good ol' Huell Howser for letting me know about that! I used to love the one in Placerville. The teen burger was the first burger I ever had with bacon on it. I LOVE bacon on a hamburger! The grape float looks yummy too. Love T

Heidi Ann said...

I did know that about A&W - just rewatched that episode of California's gold again last week! I loved the old A&W Drive-In we used to have in Placerville, too. There is still one similar to that in Modesto. Ah, the good old days of car-hops and the tray attached to your car door. I've never been to a Sonic - I'd like to try it one of these days.

Tina Dawn said...

I haven't been to a Sonic either. Rich's nephew near Denver works at one, but I don't know if he carhops. I didn't know they had them. I hadn't ever heard of them before he went to work for them. That would be fun. Love T

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Thanks for cooling me down with all those delicious looking drinks! Temps were 100+ here today(heat index 110). Have a nice week! Twyla

Karen Jo said...

I've been to Sonic, and I like it very much. Their hamburger buns are really good too. They're really fresh. I enjoyed Mel's too. I love you, best friend!

Anonymous said...

Ya know, the A&Ws just aren't at ALL like they used to be. I remember going to the one in Pacific Grove, CA (where I grew up) and I just loved it. We went to one recently and it was AWFUL. Really disappointing. I don't understand why they didn't keep up the good ol' stuff like they used to have. Sigh. . . . I digress. I am totally making that yummy sounding Orange Frosted! Sounds really fabulous - thanks for sharing those!

Tina Dawn said...

P.S. I love the idea of a grape float and I am going to make one soon. Love T.