Saturday, August 30, 2008

Li'l Smokey (The Bear)

There was another article in the paper the other day about Li'l Smokey, who was rescued in July by firefighter Adam Deem, after his paws had been badly burned in a forest fire. He named him after the original Smokey Bear, who was found in 1950 in New Mexico. They even have a blog about him at ltwc.typepad.com. He's being rehabilitated at Lake Tahoe Wildlife care, and he is healing.
I keep hearing about the fact that the original bear is Smokey Bear, not Smokey The Bear. Yeah, yeah, okay - but can you blame us for calling him that when the Little Golden Book, above, published in 1955 has that title? And the song we ALL know, below, written by Johnny Marks (also of Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer fame) is called Ballad Of Smokey The Bear, with it's familiar chorus of "Smokey the Bear, Smokey The Bear...."
Even in this book published in 1960, the first line reads "Smokey the Bear Was worried."
I also have a later version of the Little Golden Book, with the background in yellow rather than blue:
I've been known to be quite stubborn - and I'll probably continue to call him Smokey The Bear. Because I feel like it.
They are even going to be setting up a 24 hour webcam for Li'l Smokey, so anyone who is interested can track his progress. Poor Li'l Smokey - I think and I hope that he will be fine.

5 comments:

Emily said...

I just love these images!! You have received an award from me. Please visit my blog to pick it up!

Emily

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Congratulations on your latest award! We love the stuff you show in each blog. I love how I can count on a new post everyday! You are just a blogger rock star! Thanks, Heidi Ann for entertaining us with memories and all your collectibles. Twyla

Tina Dawn said...

Thanks for the info on Li'l Smokey. I am going to check in on him. Love T

black eyed susans kitchen said...

My mother in law collects Smokey the bear stuff. I will be sending this over to her. Susan

Anonymous said...

We love Smokey!!Mom has some fun old Smokey S&P shakers and an old Smokey hankie in a frame at the cabin. These books are too cute!