Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Beautiful

I believe I may have figured out what my "problem" is.
One of my favorite quotes of all time is this, from
William Morris:
" If you want a golden rule that will fit everybody, this is it: Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
I, quite simply, find beauty in far too many things. What other eyes may perceive as clutter, rather I opine are little bits of beauty all around me.

The little vintage sculpture of a dancer (shown above backed by a lovely paper based on a William Morris design) recently came loose from it's little wooden base. I can find no markings on it of any kind, therefore I know nothing about it whatsoever.
Except that I believe it to be beautiful. Hmmm.....

4 comments:

Mama Brook said...

I have that same problem!
But it sure beats thinking everything is ugly!!

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Oh how I can relate to your dilemma! I need at least three houses to decorate! LOL

I love this piece - it reminds me of a garden nymph, like the ones you see in old silhouettes.

Who knows, this could be worth a mint!!

xo
Becky

Tina Dawn said...

Just lovely. I have always been partial to that wallpaper, in all the patterns. Was the sculpture in your house? Love T

Heidi Ann said...

Yes - found in the house.